Saturday 23 February 2019

Tracks in the Ice


    The other day when we were doing our walk down an icy windblown road, we came across these animal tracks frozen in the ice.  In an earlier blog I had declared that I was not an expert in identifying animal tracks and I repeat that statement now.  I looked in my animal tracks reference book to help me out and I am concluding that maybe they are wolf tracks.  
    The toe pads are spread like a cougar, but the claws are visible like a wolf, so I am going for that.  The keys I put down to help scale the track.  The black key is 3.5 inches (9 cm), so the track would be about 4.5 inches (11 cm) long.
    I thought it was unusual the way the tracks were presented; in ice with a snow fill.  We could see the tracks just about the whole length of the short section of road.

No comments:

Post a Comment