Thursday 3 May 2018

Greenhouse Planted


    I have not been happy with the tomato and chili plants that I started in March.  A lot of them didn’t germinate, and those that did weren’t really thriving.  I am not sure why, maybe it was the grow lights, or perhaps the soil, but whatever it was, it effected them in a bad way.  
    Thinking the problem might be the grow lights, I started taking them out to the greenhouse during the day so that they could get real sunlight.  That helped, but I really felt like I needed just get them in the ground so they could have a more natural environment.  So yesterday, I planted then in the greenhouse.  
    My greenhouse isn’t heated, but when I built it, I did try to use a lot of concrete inside to absorb the heat during the day and hold it and help keep the place warm at night, but this time of year it still gets close to freezing inside, so I rigged up a small electric space heater inside which will keep my tomato and chili plants warm overnight.
    This morning’s temperature outside was 4C (39F), but inside the greenhouse the temperature was 10C (50F) a much friendlier temperature for my little plants.  
    I always plant about 5 or 6 different varieties of tomatoes and chilis, several  of the varieties failed to germinate, and I didn’t really notice until I started planting, that I have a more than I need of some varieties (particularly cherry tomatoes) and none or not enough of the bigger types I really wanted, so it is going to be a different collection of produce this year.  Oh well it is what it is.
    It is always feels like a major accomplishment to finally get them planted in the greenhouse instead of hauling them back and forth between the greenhouse to the house. 


You can see my paintings  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment