Thursday 8 October 2015

Not a Penny


    People are always asking about the difference between Canada and the US.  I noticed one difference when I was recently down in the States--the penny.  Canada minted its last penny on May 4, 2012, not all that long ago, and it seemed like a drastic change at the time, but its surprising how quickly I adapted to it.   When I was in the states, suddenly I had to deal with pennies again, and it felt a bit strange after doing without for 3 and a half years.  
    You might wonder how we deal without the penny in Canada.  We either round up or round down.  If something costs 43 or 44 cents we pay .45, and if the cost is .41 or .42  we pay 40 cents.  Pennies were always a bit of a hassle, and it didn’t take much effort to live without them.
    I took this photo while I was down in the States.  My mom had a box full of pennies.  I see there are a couple of Canadian pennies in the mix.

To view my photo-realistic paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment