Sunday 8 March 2015

Seedy Saturday


    It doesn’t take much mild weather after a long Canadian winter to get gardeners thinking about the coming growing season.  This being the case, enthusiasts packed the Dunster Schoolhouse yesterday for the annual “Seedy Saturday” which is held every year in March.  It was a chance to hear talks on various gardening topics, exchange seeds, and visit with friends and neighbors in the Robson Valley.
    Yesterday I made the drive to Dunster to attend the event.  It was the first time I was able to attend and I was not disappointed.  I listened as Stefi McLean explained her growing techniques and love of perennials.  Then Penny Waechter (photo above), who has a business supplying hanging baskets to various locations in Jasper, told us her secrets of how to make the flowering explosions.
    After a delicious free lunch, Jill Howard (photo below) led us into the world of garlic and how to successfully grow it.  Her talk was followed up by Garry and Wendy Lowe (bottom photo) local professional farmers who ship their organic produce all over BC, who explained how they extend their growing season using portable hoop greenhouses.
    It was all very inspirational and I was eager to get out and put my hands in the dirt, but I will have to wait because the ground is still frozen and will be for a month.



You can see my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment