Wednesday 21 January 2015

Old Cabin


    I have been watching this cabin slowly decay for decades.  I am not sure what the fascination is with old structures, but they always attract me.  I find myself wondering what dreams were being dreamed when the early settlers nailed the final shingle onto the roof of this, their newly built home.  What struggles and hardships did they endure as they lived in their log home?  When did they move on and abandon it?
    This old cabin on Hinkelman Road, just east of McBride, remained fairly intact until last winter when the concrete chimney blew over, destroying half of the roof.  Since then its decline has been much more rapid.  There are old decaying log cabins throughout the Robson Valley.  Most of the remaining ones are located in the bush, and coming upon them is always a surprise.

You can view my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment