Wednesday 12 November 2014

Like A Woodpecker On A Bone


    I was a bit surprised the other day when I looked out of the window and saw this Hairy Woodpecker busy gleaning what it could from one of the soup bones Skye left in the yard.  I always stereotype animals with what they are supposed to eat, so I am often astonished when I see them eat something else.  Woodpeckers eat bugs hiding in a tree truck, right?  But it seems they also like to eat marrow from bones.
    I was a bit startled to see a squirrel eating away on a clump of beef fat I hung up for the birds.  The deer love to eat peanut butter.  Years ago I was watching a Great Blue Heron wading in the pond, fishing for small fish.  A dragonfly happened to fly by and the heron immediately snatched it from the air and ate it.  It seems animals are opportunists and are open-minded enough to take advantage of what they find.  Either that or the animals around here are just so hungry they forget about the rules.

You can take a look at my photo-realistic paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment