Tuesday 21 May 2013

Forget-Me-Nots


    May is the month when the forget-me-nots come up all over our lawn.  The plant can stick up about 7 inches (18 cm) above the ground and on the top they have a cluster of tiny blue, pink, or white flowers.  Most of the forget-me-nots in my yard have petals that are translucent light blue color, surrounding a tiny yellow center.
    The forget-me-nots in our neighborhood, originated with Mrs. Nail, an elderly woman who lived next door, when we first moved to McBride in 1977.  She was a member of the Alpine Club of Canada, and if I remember correctly, she got the seeds through them.  Over the years, they have spread from her property, across to our yard.
    As you can see from the photo, I have a lot of them.  I really like to have them in the lawn, so for years now, when I mow, I always mow around clusters of forget-me-nots, so that they will be able to go to seed and spread.  Had I mowed them all down year after year, I doubt that I would have any in my yard today.
    Mowing around the forget-me-nots does cause some problems.  Often there are things like dandelions growing among them, and so they will also go to seed, but since I already have hundreds of dandelions in my yard, it doesn’t matter that a few more dandelion seeds hit the air.
    After several weeks of mowing around them, the forget-me-not patches of the yard do start to look a bit ratty, so eventually, after the forget-me-nots have had time to develop their seed, I do finally, mow them down, and next year, new ones will come up, and again make me happy to see, that I have a lawn like a flowery meadow.

Take a look at my paintings, at: www.davidmarchant.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment