Friday 5 April 2013

The Fraser River is Now Ice-Free


    Despite an occasional roadblock in its way, Spring continues to slowly claw its way into existence in the Robson Valley.  A couple of days ago, I was happy to see that the mighty Fraser River had lost its ice covering and is now showing us open water.  
    Yesterday, I felt optimistic and got out my bicycle from winter storage in the barn.   I had a dental appointment and decided to brave the gusty winds and bike into McBride.  The trip would have been hard enough, since it was my first bike outing of the year, but the winds made it down-right brutal.  By the time I got back home, my legs were feeling pretty wobbly.  I took this photo as I crossed the Fraser River bridge.
    I mentioned roadblocks in my opening sentence.  At this moment, we are experiencing one:  it is snowing, but winter’s back has been broken.  Most of the fields in the valley bottom are now snow free, much to the delight of the Canada geese, who have been honking around for several weeks.  I expect this current snowfall to be pretty short lived.

Older blogs and my paintings are found at:  www.davidmarchant.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment