Thursday 30 November 2023

Wow, Look At That Aurora


    Tonight (Nov 30) and tomorrow night (Dec 1) there is a great likelihood that in areas reaching halfway down through the US, there will be auroras in the sky, because of a powerful Solar storm.  For us here in the Robson Valley, it means that it will probably be overcast and cloudy.  

    It has been decades since I have seen a good aurora and every time I hear about one I think of the cold January night when I went out into the darkness to tryout the “Night Vision” capabilities on my camera.  It was pretty frigid and dark as I ventured out into the pasture to scan the open skies through the viewfinder of my camcorder.   I had the Night Vision on, and what I saw through the viewfinder was amazing:  Cloud-like areas of green, swirling across my eyes.  

    “Wow,”  I thought, “This is an amazing aurora.”   I turned on the video button of the camcorder to record the incredible aurora for posterity.  I kept my eyes glued into the view finder.  I was so happy to be seeing and recording such an amazing display.  

    After a while I lowered the camcorder from my eyes, and was surprised that I couldn’t see the aurora with my naked eyes.  I looked back into the viewfinder, and there it was again.

    “Wait a minute, something’s not right here.”  I began to think, and then it hit me.  There was no aurora.  What I was seeing, and recording was my breath, fogged up from the cold, and drifting across the front of my camera.

    I felt pretty deflated, and foolish at all of my excitement in thinking I was witnessing an amazing aurora, that turned out to be,  just my breath.


View my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment