Friday 1 June 2018

Roadside Chives


    Yesterday was the McBride Library Book Club, and since all I had to take with me was my iPad and a pair of glasses, I decided I should bike into town.  It is after all, it is ‘Bike to Work Week’.  Every time I started pedaling up a slope, my legs complained.  (It was my first ride on the bike this year.)  I did survive the 5 km (3 mile) trip to McBride.
    After the meeting I began biking home.  When you are riding a bike, you sure see, feel, and become more aware of the countryside around you, than you do when you are traveling in a car.  Along Highway 16, right on the edge of the road I glanced down and noticed the purple heads of a plant.  My brain kicked in and said, “Hey, that’s chives.” 
    There was nothing coming down the highway, so I circled back to take a closer look.  Sure enough, it was chives.  I tasted one of them to make sure.  
    All the rest of my trip home, I pondered, “How in the world did that domesticated plant end up growing on the edge of the highway--just another one of life’s unanswered mysteries, I guess.

My paintings are on display at:  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment