Thursday 25 May 2017

Mysterious Aspen Leaves


    Yesterday we braced ourselves against the cold north wind and did our dog walk down Jervis Road.  I immediately noticed something strange happening to the leaves of the young Aspen trees that line the road.  They had all curled into a cone-like shape.  I had never encountered this before.
    I know that caterpillars can curl leaves to make a protective shell for themselves, but I couldn’t see any sign of insects, and the fact that every single leaf seemed to be effected made me think that insects weren’t the cause of the phenomenon.  I wondered if maybe our drastic change to near freezing  weather and strong winds had made this happen as sort of a protective mechanism.
    It’s an interesting mystery.


You can see my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment