Sunday 31 July 2016

Sandhill Cranes


    I learned something yesterday.  When we were on a walk down Horseshoe Lake Road, I noticed some big birds sticking their heads up in the adjacent field.  It was a family of Sandhill Cranes.  I have seen Sandhills around the Robson Valley during the time of the spring migration and assumed that they were just traveling through as they headed toward breeding areas further north. 
    Seeing them this time of year made me think that some might nest here too.  This morning I called Elsie Stanley, our local bird expert to ask her about it and she told me there had been reports of Sandhills nesting here, so I guess some of the migrating Sandhills quit their journey and spend the summer here.

Take a look at my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment