Sunday 5 January 2014

Slim Pickings


    This time of year my eyes get so hungry for color.  It seems we have had nothing but grey skies and snow for weeks.  This morning along the trail I saw these red berries sticking out beneath a snow covered branch.  The fact that these tiny red things caught my eye shows just how starved for color I am.
    Thinking about starvation, in the fall there were red berries aplenty, and now these are the only ones I could see that were left.  It started me wondering what all those berry eating birds and animals were eating, because there certainly didn’t seem to be any berries left.  What are they eating now?
    It was then that I remembered all the sunflower seeds and peanut butter I was buying and putting out every morning.  I guess I am probably contributing a good bit to their winter diet.

See my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment