Friday 3 May 2019

Hummingbirds Return


    When Spring finally arrives, we always look forward to seeing certain animals.  Swallows, Robins, Bears, ducks, and Hummingbirds are all eagerly awaited.  I have seen them all now this Spring. 
    We have two kinds of hummers at our place:  Rufus (above) and the smaller and green Calliope Hummingbird.  I have seen both over the last week, but it wasn’t until yesterday that I was finally able to get a decent photo.  (My camera kept focusing on the tree behind the feeder, making the hummingbirds out of focus).
    I have had Hummingbirds return as early as the 17th of April, this year it was a week and a half later, but I had my feeder up since the 17th.  In past years, when I have been late in hanging it out, I have seen Hummers flying around the spot where I usually hang the feeder, wondering where the sugar water was.
    A guy in Dunster has tagged hummingbirds and found that some over-winter down in Texas.  That’s a mighty long trip for these tiny birds to get up here to the Interior of BC.

Take a look at my photo-realistic paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment